fbpx

Losing my balance on 17 Jade Maiden Shuttles Back and Forth

• Losing my balance on 17 Jade Maiden Shuttles Back and Forth

Posted by Robert on January 10, 2023 at 10:15 am

Hi everyone, I’m trying to learn how to do the 19 Form by Chen Xiaowang, the Chen tai chi standard bearer. I’ve studied with another teacher the shorter 9 Form also by Chen Xiaowang, which has some of the movements in the 19 Form, and makes it easier for me to pick up the 19 Form. However, I keep losing my balance on 17 Jade Maiden Shuttles Back and Forth and flop over in making the final turn. Do you have any advice on how to finish the movement without flopping over? Thanks, Robert

Robert replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Frances

January 10, 2023 at 12:02 pm

Is the issue stepping behind with the right foot, and then pivoting on the left heel? I would try isolating that movement, and practice it repeatedly without involving your arms until you feel comfortable with it. Get yourself into a shoulder-width or horse stance, and make sure your upper body feels relaxed. Then put your right foot behind you, but before your turn, relax into that standing leg to make sure you can balance comfortably on that leg. Then you can try turning and pivoting on your left foot.

• Robert

January 11, 2023 at 1:21 pm

I’m trying out your advice, isolating the movements, working on footwork first, then adding the upper body. Your advice helped me in figuring out the move. It is now more stable and smooth when I do it, and not off balance. I’m still working it out, but it’s much better. Thanks for the tip.